Unless you’ve been living under a rock, and have the faintest interest in anything hip-hop, you’d have come across this ‘difference in opinions’ between Drake and Meek Mill. While the beef has been widely publicised for what feels like a few weeks, it’s only ’til now that I’ve really given it any attention. Mainly because over here in the UK, not only is Meek Mill pretty much irrelevant and largely anonymous, but also because I really don’t rate the guy. I really tried to get into the
Dreamchasers series, and came away feeling underwhelmed, and I gazed over Dreams Worth More Than Money, but with the same ol’ producers and the same ol’ guest appearances, I really had little interest.
Anyway, I’ve been sucked into the media-frenzy of the feud, and while I try to avoid reporting what everybody else already does, Drake’s just made it impossible for me to ignore.
1. The feud began with this tweet from Meek Mill:
He more specifically refers to the song R.I.C.O., which was found on Meek’s aforementioned Dreams Worth More Than Money. He also calls out Drizzy for not tweeting about the release of said album.
2. Meek cites ghostwriter Quentin Miller as the real writer behind Drake’s verse on R.I.C.O. However, Miller is quick to rule this out, in which saying very clearly: ‘I am not and never will be a ‘ghostwriter’ for drake’.
3. Then, Funkmaster Flex got involved. He claims to have received ‘this from someone in Drake’s camp’. ‘This’ was a reference track supposedly written by Miller for Drake’s 10 Bands, a cut from If You’re Reading This You’re Too Late.
4. Until now Drake had been lying dormant, presumably cooking up some sort of retort, and luckily he had.
5. Meek Mill and Nicki Minaj ‘respond’ while on her Pinkprint Tour; Meek calls the response ‘baby lotion soft’. And to be fair, it was. Meek Mill was also booed by a whole lot of Drizzy fans at the concert.
6. Drake clearly deems his response a little ‘soft’ as well after a short while’s thought, and as a result releases a second diss track- Back To Back Freestyle.
You love her, then you gotta give the world to her
Is that a world tour or your girl’s tour?
I know that you gotta be a thug for her
This ain’t what she meant when she told you to open up more
Yeah, trigger fingers turn to twitter fingers
Yeah, you gettin’ bodied by a singin’ nigga
I’m not the type of nigga that’ll type to niggas
And shout-out to all my boss bitches wife-in niggas
Make sure you hit him with the prenup
Then tell that man to ease up
I did another one, I did another one
You still ain’t did shit about the other one
– Drake, 29th July 2015
7. Meek Mill, once again via social media, says ‘Right now I’m on the road still cashing out…Ima b in the studio soon…5hr ride to Montreal…*winking emoji*’.
Welp. I think it’s fair to say that Drake has well and truly served Meek Mill some food for thought, and having been previously underwhelmed, maybe Meek will wow me with a response. But given his petty-ness with Twitter and Instagram, unless he comes back with one hell of a retort, I’m going to give Drake a definite win on this one.
8. Meek Mill finally responds with Wanna Know.
Now when that shit went down with Chris, you wrote a check
In New Orleans wore my chain to get respect (you a fraud)
So what that tell me? You a pussy and a fan
Say the wrong shit you know the shooters at your neck
I just wanna know, if you ain’t write that running through the six shit
Tell us who the fuck was Quentin running through the six with?
Niggas writing for you cause you know you never did shit
When I threw that hook out, I was tryin’ to catch a big fish
We the type of niggas to tie your mother up
Fuck your sister in the ass and hit your brother up, pussy
You really sweet, I call you buttercup
You fucking dork you changed the style because you studied us
Coming with the same flow
Switching up your lingo
We just want a refund, this ain’t what we paid for
Every time that we come, we get what we came for
Spitting another niggas shit, but you claim you king though?
Now this really is a tricky one, and who am I to decide who’s got the upper hand? Let me know what you think in the comments, or via Twitter!
9. Drake responds to Meek’s track via this captionless photo on Instagram.
I’m sure there’s more to come, stay tuned!